October 30, 2009

Under the Sea: Part 1

Fried egg jellyfish


Unfortunately, my camera is not able to come swimming with me. I've been doing my best to persuade Grant's boss to lend me his underwater one, but to no avail (yet). But I really wanted to share this jelly with you, because it was an incredible creature to come across in the water.

I was sceptical at first, but my instructor reached out with her gloved hand to pet one, and motioned for me to do the same, with my un-gloved hand. Tentatively I did so, and touched the "yolk" in the centre. It was surprisingly hard, but slimy, and as I ran my hand along the tentacles underneath he flapped his little skirt up and down.

Later that day, some kids came in to the dive shop to borrow snorkels and asked about the big yellow blobs floating about in the bay. I jumped up - "Touch them! Touch them!" - and they backed slowly away from the counter, away from the crazy jellyfish lady and out into the sunshine...

I really love those jellyfish.

Reading #FrenchSafari: Under the Sea: Part 1Tweet this!

No comments:

Post a Comment